What gender stereotypes discussed in this chapter do you see present in the texts?
Like anything that Seth Macfarlane creates, "The Cleveland Show" not only creates and advocates stereotypes, but it does so in a more blatant, outright manor than other shows might. While a news program, or a talk show might try to hide any stereotyping that might take place, shows like Family Guy and American Dad feed off of the taboo nature of upfront stereotyping. From the very beginning of this clip, we see Donna readjust her skirt and boobs, an obvious attempt at gendered humor. From there, we see her take off her wedding ring and join her single, female friends while Cleveland is at home, trying to care of the children. Though most of what I have to say will be discussed in the section about role reversals, there is a clear-cut way that the show seems to view both men and women.
I believe that this stereotypes of active/passive, public/private, and logical/emotional were all reversed within this episode, while the depiction of the stereotypes of the sexual object and sexual subject could be interpreted in multiple ways. The book describes the fact that, at least stereotypically speaking, media tends to define men as powerful and "in charge", while women are often depicted as objects or the catalysts for sexual quests. In this clip, however, Donna seems to be the one in charge, while Cleveland is subjected to being the object of her affection. The reason that I don't believe that this was a complete role reversal is because I believe that like in this episode, men are depicted as wanting sex at all time, always a willing participant if the woman is willing. Though Donna throughout this clip and in the two bedroom scenes does seem to take on the masculine role of being in power and in charge, Cleveland is still always willing to succumb to her advances. So, as I said, I believe that in this case, this binary is a muddled mix of tradition gendered stereotype adherence and gender reversal. That being said, I believe that it is always clear, whether the roles are reversed or not, that each of these two main characters is playing the role of one gender or another throughout the episode. Though Cleveland acts very stereotypically feminine throughout this episode and is only masculine at times, it is clear that at all times he is playing one role or the other.
What additional gender stereotypes not addressed in this chapter can you identify? How might they be related to those from this chapter?
One is the stereotype, or common belief that men are willing to have sex at any time, as long as there is a woman there who wants it as well. Cleveland is upset with Donna, especially in the second bedroom scene, but still breaks when Donna comes on to him sexually. Another is the idea that a woman might want to hide the fact that she is married in order to enjoy single life. Though I believe the cheating or untruthful spouse is represented in the media on both ends (both male and female), I believe that is shown different for each gender. Donna takes off her wedding ring and neglects to mention to her single friends that she has a husband simply in order to have a good time away from the house and routine. I believe when a male is shown taking off his wedding ring, there is usually some sort of infidelity to follow it. As we see, there was no man that Donna was trying to hide her marriage from, but she still felt the need to lie to both Cleveland and her friends. I believe that when a man takes off his ring it is rarely for something so un-promiscuous. That why I believe that even this may have been an example of role reversal, as Cleveland is shown in the next scene, worrying about his wife and the family. In reality, though, everyone knows that infidelity happens on all ends of the spectrum, and that it can more truthfully be chocked up to the character of the individual than their gender.Are there any examples of gender reversals in the text?
The contrast between the active male and passive female seems to be directly reversed within this episode to the point that it seems intentional. Donna becomes the untruthful husband who is going out, being social, while Cleveland is left at home, taking on the role of the passive one, caring for the children and the house. Cleveland also gets emotional, becoming the worried wife who can't trust their spouse. This is much like the contrast that the book discusses between the lives of Marge and Homer Simpson, though the genders have been reversed. Donna is the one going out and getting drunk and causing drama within the family, while Cleveland is the passive, emotional one trying to hold everything together. It is arguable whether or not Donna is particularly logical throughout the episode, but besides her drunken tirades she is much more composed, or at least less consumed with emotion than Cleveland is.As I stated above, I believe this episode was a better example of role reversal than anything else, though I do believe that this role reversal was well-defined to the point that it was clear that the individuals were acting their opposites.
Favorite thing the book had to say:
"Sexism is discrimination based upon a person's sex. Instead of targeting individual men, or even men as a social group, feminism seeks to reveal and eradicate socially ingrained systems of sexism that harm all individuals."
JAC
No comments:
Post a Comment